January 2004 Minutes

PREISKER GARDENS HOMEOWNERS' MEETING
January 13, 2004

Board members in attendance were Gail Thomas (President), Francine Soliz (Vice President), Lucy Elsberry (Treasurer), and Ken Hooberry (Member-at-Large).

Gail called the meeting to order at 7:15 PM.

The minutes of the December meeting were read and approved.

    Items of business included:

  1. Signs have been posted on the front gates giving notice of our policy of immediate towing of all vehicles parked on the inner streets from 10:00 PM to 5:00 AM.

  2. The gardeners have agreed to cut the dead trees on the front lawn area on Preisker Lane. This job will be at their expense. They will cut the trees to low stumps. If we decide the stumps need to be ground down, this will be at our expense.

  3. An inquiry was made about colors that are allowed for our fences. The Board has adopted a policy that restores the original dark brown color standard. Over the years, people have used many colors to paint their fences. The Board wants to restore a more unified look. If you want to paint your fence, please use a dark brown color.

  4. If you intend to paint your house, you must use one of the three colors that were used by the builders. Paint chip samples are available. Come to a meeting, and ask to see them. Trim color must be a dark brown.

  5. If we can make arrangements, the next meeting will be a Neighborhood Watch meeting. We will distribute flyers to tell you more.

  6. The Board voted unanimously to have a community-wide Garage Sale on the weekend of Saturday, January 31, and Sunday, February 1. The hours each day will be from 8 AM to 12 Noon.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:00 PM.

Respectfully submitted,
Jim Clatfelter

February 2004 Minutes

PREISKER GARDENS HOMEOWNERS' MEETING
February 17, 2004

Board members in attendance were Gail Thomas (President), Lucy Elsberry (Treasurer), and Ken Hooberry (Member-at-Large).

Gail called the meeting to order at 7:02 PM.

The minutes of the January meeting were read and approved.

    Items of business included:

  1. Lucy has arranged for Neighborhood Watch to attend the next (March) meeting and speak to us about security issues. The Police Officer for our area will attend to speak and answer our questions. A flyer will be distributed to every house to announce the meeting.

  2. The pool will need a new pump before it can be opened in the spring.

  3. We need to get Simpkins Security to simplify our security camera system at the pool and spa.

  4. Ken will buy new bulbs for our street lights. We will need to hire a contractor to install them.

  5. The front bulletin board is broken again. Someone threw a rock at it. This is the third time this has happened. Jim will check with Home Depot to see if there is a shatter-proof material that we can use for the bulletin board instead of plexiglass.

  6. Gail is investigating the cost of acquiring insurance on our streets and the perimeter walls.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:30 PM.

Respectfully submitted,
Jim Clatfelter

March 2004 Minutes

PREISKER GARDENS HOMEOWNERS' MEETING
March 9, 2004

Board members in attendance were Gail Thomas (President), Francine Soliz (Vice President), and Lucy Elsberry (Treasurer).

Gail called the meeting to order at 7:04 PM.

The minutes of the February meeting were read and approved.

    Items of business included:

  1. The Neighborhood Watch meeting has been postponed because of scheduling difficulties with the Police Department. We hope to have this meeting in April. Flyers will go to each house before the meeting.
  2. The pool is open, and it will be fully heated in a week's time.
  3. We will buy 10 sodium bulbs to replace the burned out ones in the street lights. We will hire an electrician to do the work.
  4. Our insurance is up for renewal. Our agent offered us insurance plans only from companies out of the state of California. The least expensive of these is priced at $5,800.00 per year. The Board voted 3 to 0 to inquire about getting insurance from a California company.
  5. If you have questions about escrows or about your account with the Homeowners' Association, please call C&H Tax and Bookkeeping at 925-5574. They have payment coupon books available if you need one.
  6. Cars are still being towed if they are parked on the street from 10pm to 5am. If your car is towed, you need to contact Four Corners Towing at 922-6707. They are located at 519 So. Oakley Avenue in Santa Maria. They will tell you how to go about getting your vehicle back.
  7. We now have a website and an e-mail account. The website is www.preiskergardens.net. You may e-mail questions, concerns, and comments to info@preiskergardens.net. Our 2004 budget is posted on the website.
  8. Our bank reconcilliation statement for March 6 shows a balance of $20,206.21 with $345.10 in outstanding checks.
  9. A limb from one of the trees in Preisker Park is leaning on our wall. Francine will contact the City to have the limb removed.
  10. Gail will get estimates for surveillance cameras to be placed at the front gate and in the clubhouse and pool areas.
  11. The Board's policy is to lien all houses that are over $600.00 behind in their dues. Kirk and Simas have delayed in placing the liens, but they have promised to proceed immediately. Seven houses are going to lien. Four additional houses will be liened if they do not make arrangements to make double payments without delay. Homeowners will be responsible for all recording and legal fees as well as back dues.
  12. Ken Hooberry is able to program the front gate keypad with your phone and lot number. If you want your name on the front keypad, give your name, phone number, and lot number to Ken or any Board member. You may also e-mail the information to info@preiskergardens.net. Information on how the keypad operates is on the website.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:54 PM.

April 2004 Minutes

PREISKER GARDENS HOMEOWNERS' MEETING
April 13, 2004

Board members in attendance were Gail Thomas (President) and Francine Soliz (Vice-President). Ken Hooberry (Member-at-Large) was absent. Lucy Elsberry is no longer a member of the Board. Since a quorum was not present, no binding votes were taken.

Gail called the meeting to order at 7:04 PM.

The minutes of the March meeting were read and approved.

    Items of business included:

  1. Two delinquent accounts have paid all past dues and late fees and are now current on their dues. No liens have been recorded on these properties.
  2. Three delinquent accounts have made arrangements to make double payments. These accounts have been put to lien. The homeowners will be responsible for all costs associated with recording the liens, including the fees of our attorney.
  3. Our attorneys, Kirk and Simas, have advised us that our policy with regard to liens is much more lenient than those of other homeowners' associations. We currently allow $600.00 in delinquent dues. Gail and Francine agreed that a new policy is needed. The new policy, pending a vote before the full Board, will be as follows: If you are 90 days in arrears on your dues, our bookkeepers will send you a warning. If you become more that $400.00 in arrears, a lien on your house will be requested by the Association. You will be responsible for all fees associated with the process of placing a lien on your property.
  4. Francine agreed to arrange for a Neighborhood Watch program at the May meeting. This event has been postponed several times. We will pass out flyers to each residence to remind you of the meeting.
  5. The June meeting will be our annual election. We need people to serve on the Board of Directors. Please consider serving your community as a Board member. Let us know if you would be interested in being placed on the June ballot. Email to info@preiskergardens.net or contact any Board member. Open positions are those of Secretary, Assistant Secretary, Treasurer, and Assistant Treasurer.
  6. A Garage Sale has been scheduled for the weekend of June 12-13, one week after the Elks Rodeo.
  7. We will get an estimate to have a key system installed at the front walk-in gate.
  8. Our financial statement for March shows a net loss of $5,631.26 for the month. This is due to the payment for Liability Insurance of $7,271.51. Net income for the year-to-date is $1,419,51.
  9. We plan to sell back our security camera system at the pool, since no one from the security company can tell us how to operate it. Simpkins Security has agreed to the buy-back.
  10. Pending a vote by the full Board, plans are to purchase a 10 camera security system to cover the front gate, the pool and spa, the clubhouse, and the RV lot. These cameras are not on all the time. They are motion-activated. They work at night using infra-red sensing. Images taken by these cameras are stored on a secure website for 30 days. The cost of the system is $4,300.00. A 50% deposit is required to begin installation. The balance is due upon completion.
  11. On Sunday morning, April 4, we noticed that someone had dropped some safety glass on the corner of Chestnut and Cedar. Gail had it cleaned up.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:55 PM.

May 2004 Minutes

Preisker Gardens Homeowners' Meeting

May 19, 2004

Board members in attendance were Gail Thomas (President), Francine Soliz (Vice-President), and Ken Hooberry (Member-at-Large).

Gail called the meeting to order at 6:35 PM.

Officer Steve Lopez of the Santa Maria Police Department attended the meeting and spoke to us at length about community safety and protection. Officer Lopez is the Beat One Coordinator for the SMPD. Here are a few important points we all should know:

  1. For non-emergency calls call Police Dispatch at 928-3781 ext 277.

  2. Your call is confidential. If you request it, an officer will call you back and let you know the outcome of your call. An officer will also report to your house if you request.

  3. Police now use scrambled digital signals. Scanners cannot pick up these transmissions.

  4. Excessive noise is a violation any time of the day or night. You have a right to the quiet enjoyment of your property at all times.
The official meeting began after a question-and-answer session with Officer Lopez.

The April minutes were read and approved.

Items of business included:

  1. Gail announced that four new security have been installed at the pool and in the clubhouse. These record all activity in their view. They are activated by movement, and they operate at night using infrared sensing.

  2. The Board voted 3 to 0 to have three new cameras installed. There will be one at the front of the clubhouse, one at the front gate, and one in the RV lot. Others may be installed at a later date. These remote (wireless) cameras cost $800 each. The residents in attendance agreed that this is a good investment.

  3. The Board also voted 3 to 0 to approve the new dues delinquency policy. If your dues are late by 90 days, our bookkeepers will send you a warning. If you fall behind in your dues by $400, your property will be put to lien, and you will be responsible for the delinquent dues and all costs associated with liening your property.

  4. The Board voted to get estimates for a key system for the front walk-in gate.

  5. The Board also voted to get an estimate to remove the walk-thru gate into Preisker Park and brick it up. This will be put on the ballot for the upcoming election. It will be an advisory vote. We will also use the ballot to ask for your suggestions and opinions on how to improve our community.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:30 PM.

October 2004 Minutes

Preisker Gardens Homeowners' Meeting

October 19, 2004

Board members in attendance were Gail Thomas (President), Ken Hooberry (Vice President), Joel Hartwell (Treasurer), and Jim Clatfelter (Secretary)..

Gail called the meeting to order at 7:08 PM.

Items of business included:

  1. Joel Hartwell was added to the Board as Treasurer. Jim Clatfelter was added as Secretary.

  2. Gail proposed that we upgrade out front gate. Gibbs gave us a bid of $6,917 for a new gate, motor, and keypad. Gail will verify that list of names displayed at the gate on the keypad system can be updated using our computer. The Board voted 4 to 0 to purchase this system.

  3. Ken will contact the City about filling in the holes in our wall on the Preisker Park side. These are being used to climb our wall.

  4. We have had difficulty getting bids on improving our street lighting. Ken and Gail will be following some more leads. We want to at least upgrade the light fixtures and lamps. Our present lights burn out too often and do not give adequate light.

  5. We have learned that Preisker Lane will be widened in about one year. We will lose some of our front lawn area from the front gate to the drainage channel near Broadway. We will let the City know we want to be kept informed of their plans as they progress.

  6. Joel asked whether we would be interested in renting the clubhouse to an outside jazzercise group. They would be willing to pay for the use of the clubhouse on a temporary basis. Several problems with this were cited, including the limited parking. Gail will report at the next meeting whether our insurance would cover such a rental.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:55 PM.

November 2004 Minutes

Preisker Gardens Homeowners' Meeting

November 9, 2004

Board members in attendance were Gail Thomas (President), Ken Hooberry (Vice President), Joel Hartwell (Treasurer), and Jim Clatfelter (Secretary)..

Gail called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM.

The Minutes of the October meeting were read and approved.

Items of business included:

  1. Gail reported that the computerized keypad for the drive-in would cost us an additional $2500. We have ordered the new gate and entry system.

  2. We would like to have a keypad for the front walk-in gate. This system will allow the gate to be opened with a numeric code. The Board voted 4 to 0 to go ahead with this keypad lock if the cost is under $500. If the cost is higher, we will review it at the next meeting.

  3. The pool was vandalized on Monday, November 8. Someone turned on the water valve to the pool, causing it to flood over the entire pool area. The pool had to be drained and to have new chemicals added. These chemicals need to be checked. Ken will check our security cameras to see who did the vandalizing.

  4. We have one bid on new street lights. Santa Maric Electric will replace all 26 fixtures and lamps with 100 watt bulbs at a cost of $11,180. We need more information about their proposal. We need to know if their system will be brighter and more reliable than our present system. This matter was tabled until the next meeting.

  5. The City has informed us that they will not repair the damage done to our wall on the Preisker Park side. The wall belongs to the homeowners, not to the City.

  6. The gardeners have promised to trim the overgrown bottlebrush trees along our perimeter walls.

  7. The walk-thru gate to Preisker Park needs repair again. Gail will call our locksmith about this.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:40 PM.

December 2004 Minutes

Preisker Gardens Homeowners' Meeting

December 14, 2004

Board members in attendance were Gail Thomas (President), Ken Hooberry (Vice President), Joel Hartwell (Treasurer), and Jim Clatfelter (Secretary).

Gail called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM.

The Minutes of the October meeting were read and approved.

Items of business included:

  1. Gail requested that all Board members go to Mid-State Bank to be eligible to sign Association checks. All checks must be signed by two Board members.

  2. The new gate will be installed between Decenber 27 and 31. The entry to Preisker Gardens will be open all night for one or two nights while the gate is being installed

  3. On Monday, November 8, someone turned on the water valve to the pool, causing it to flood over the entire pool area. Ken checked our security cameras and discovered that our handyman turned it on and forgot to turn it off.

  4. The camera at the front gate was stolen. We will replace the camera and install safeguards to prevent this from happening again.

  5. Santa Maria Electric will submit a new streetlight design and prices next month. They propose 175 watt bulbs in a 175 watt system. They say we presently have 150 watt bulbs in a 50 watt system.

  6. The gardeners have trimmed the overgrown bottlebrush trees along one side of our perimeter walls. They will finish the other side this month.

  7. The Board voted 4 to 0 to increase the clubhouse deposit to $150 for each event. The new amount will begin in January 2005.

  8. Gail will hire someone on a one-time basis to help her get the files in the office in order. The Board approved this in October.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:40 PM.

Home Page