January 2005 Minutes

Preisker Gardens Homeowners' Meeting

January 11, 2005

Board members in attendance were Gail Thomas (President), Joel Hartwell (Treasurer), and Jim Clatfelter (Secretary).

Gail called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM.

The Minutes of the December meeting were read and approved.

Items of business included:

  1. Gail reported that the new front gates will be installed this month just as soon as the weather improves.

  2. Our present gate openers will work on the new system. The entry code for visitors will change from time to time.

  3. We will pass out a form for each lot. We will need your name and address and phone number to give you a gate code.

  4. The gates will be open during daylight hours again.

  5. During a power outage, the gate opening mechanism will disengage so that it can be opened manually.

  6. Gail reported that all of the bottlebrush trees along Meadowgate and Channel Drives have been trimmed.

  7. Ken will report next month on the new cameras and on street lighting.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:18 PM.

February 2005 Minutes

Preisker Gardens Homeowners' Meeting

February 8, 2005

Board members in attendance were Gail Thomas (President), Ken Hooberry (Vice President), Joel Hartwell (Treasurer), and Jim Clatfelter (Secretary).

Gail called the meeting to order at 7:04 PM.

The Minutes of the January meeting were read and approved.

Items of business included:

  1. Gail reported that 25 gate openers are on order. If your gate opener no longer works with the new gate system, you may exchange it for a new one at no cost. If you need additional gate openers, they are available for $30.

  2. Our gardener has told us that trimming the shrubs on Channel and Meadowgate is not in the contract and will only be done at an additional cost to us. This is not our understanding. This has always been included in our gardeners contracts. Ken has received a bid from A Better Yard. Their bid is $1200 monthly. We will seek additional bids for a new gardening company.

  3. On Sunday, February 6, someone broke the glass in the door to the Clubhouse, but they were not seen on our security cameras because the street light was out.

  4. The Board voted 4 to 0 to accept a bid by Santa Maria Electric to replace our current street lighting system with new heads and sensors. These sensors will take 175 watt bulbs, which are included in the price of $12,950.

  5. The front gate will not be open during daylight hours. We are giving this a 60 day trial. After 60 days the Board will vote on whether to continue with this or to keep the gate open during daylight hours.

  6. The block wall that surrounds Preisker Gardens has over 50 holes in it. Kids have made these holes so they can climb the walls. We have accepted a bid of $11,000 to repair all the holes on both sides of the wall.

  7. The Board voted 4 to 0 to install a built-in combination lock system on the gate to Preisker Park.

  8. During 2005 and 2006 we may be required to spend between $40,000 and $50,000 for improvements to Preisker Lane. The City has complained that our trees are lifting the sidewalks and creating a hazard. Our protest that the City required us to plant the trees was not accepted. We know that the City is going to widen Preisker Lane from our gate southward. At that time the sidewalks will be removed and placed closer to our wall. We are still seeking information from the City on their timetable for that work. We don't want to spend so much money on repairing the sidewalks when they will be torn out soon anyway.

  9. A 2005 budget letter will be sent to all homewoners. The dues will remain at $58 per month.

  10. Our reserve account is below what we should have considering the value of our common property and the need to maintain it. We may require a one-time accessment or an increase in dues to get our reserves up to the minimum required amounts.

    We will send out a separate letter to ask for your opinions on this. Which would you prefer? Do you have other suggestions?

The meeting was adjourned at 8:05 PM.

March 2005 Minutes

Preisker Gardens Homeowners' Meeting

March 8, 2005

Board members in attendance were Ken Hooberry (Vice President), Joel Hartwell (Treasurer), and Jim Clatfelter (Secretary).

Ken called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM.

The Minutes of the February meeting were read and approved. One correction was made. The cost to repair the block wall will be $1,100 not $11,000.

Items of business included:

  1. Ken reported that a combination lock for the side-gate to Preisker Park is too expensive to consider. The locksmith has told us that this kind of lock can be broken as easily as our present lock. The side gate will be chained shut until we can find a suitable locking system that will be secure from vandalism. We have repaired the lock on the gate numerous times, and the lock is always broken within weeks of the repairs.

  2. Our gardener has agreed to include trimming the shrubs on Channel and Meadowgate Drives at the contract price.

  3. New street lights are on order and will be installed in about four weeks.

  4. The holes in the block wall will be repaired when the weather is dryer. The wall is too damp right now for the patching cement to cure properly.

  5. Joel Hartwell is now in charge of taking Clubhouse reservations. You may contact him at 922-1875.

  6. The Board voted 3 to 0 to decline insurance on the contents of the Clubhouse because the deductible on the policy would be $500. We don't anticipate losses above that amount, so we don't consider the insurance necessary.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:55 PM.

April 2005 Minutes

Preisker Gardens Homeowners' Meeting

April 12, 2005

Board members in attendance were Gail Thomas (President), Ken Hooberry (Vice President), Joel Hartwell (Treasurer), and Jim Clatfelter (Secretary).

Gail called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM.

The Minutes of the March meeting were read and approved.

Items of business included:

  1. The new streetlights are being installed. All of the new lights should be installed within a week.

  2. At the next meeting Ken will report on the arrangements for new caneras at the front gate.

  3. The pool will be opened for the summer. A letter will be sent to each residence explaining the pool rules.

  4. The cleaning lady will straighten up the pool area every two weeks at a cost of $50 each time.

  5. It was noted that the room upstairs in the clubhouse needs repair. We will make arrangements for the repair.

  6. Our fire extinguishers need to be checked and recharged in May. Ken will see that this is accomplished.

  7. Gail reported that only three homeowners are behind on their dues, and two of them have set up payment plans to get caught up. The other homeowner, having ignored our letters, will have property put to lien.

  8. Gail announced thst she is selling her house and moving to Georgia, where her husband has found work. She is training Ken so thay he may take over the Presidency when she has moved.

  9. The Board voted to allow any homeowner to request that the gate be kept open for a weekend open house. Please let us know in advance if you need the gate to be open for an open house.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:30 PM.

May 2005 Minutes

Preisker Gardens Homeowners' Meeting

May 10, 2005

Board members in attendance were Gail Thomas (President), Ken Hooberry (Vice President), Joel Hartwell (Treasurer), and Jim Clatfelter (Secretary).

Gail called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM.

The Minutes of the April meeting were read and approved.

Items of business included:

  1. We will have an election in July. Ken will run for President. Jim and Joel each have another year to serve in their positions. We need others to run for positions on the Board. Open positions include Vice President, Assistant Secretary, Assistant Treasurer, and Member-at-Large.

  2. The fire extinguishers in the clubhouse have been serviced and certified.

  3. The broken window in the upstairs clubhouse office has been replaced.

  4. It was reported that some have been posting the gate code on the gate keypad. This is not permitted. It compromises our security. If you are having an open house, please let us know. We will open the gate for you during the hours of the open house. Tell your Realtor not to post your gate code. If you are having a party in the clubhouse, give your guests the code in advance. Do not post it at the gate.

  5. One house is in foreclosure and has been put to lien.

  6. We will be taking bids for a new gardening service. We are not satisfied with our present gardeners.

  7. Our reserves are down to $67,150. They should be at least $100,000. We have made many improvements to the community in the last year. These include our new gate, much improved street lighting, and our security cameras. Though we don't anticipate more major expenses in the following year, we are required to keep our reserves at an acceptable level. For that reason there will be an increase in dues from $58 a month to $63 a month beginning with the July payment.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:50 PM.

July 2005 Minutes

Preisker Gardens Homeowners' Meeting

July 13, 2005

Board members in attendance were Ken Hooberry (President), Joel Hartwell (Treasurer), and Jim Clatfelter (Secretary).

Ken called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM.

The Minutes of the April meeting were read and approved.

Items of business included:

  1. We need to have an election and volunteers to serve on the Board of Directors. Ken will run for President. Jim and Joel each have another year to serve in their positions. We need others to run for positions on the Board. Open positions include Vice President, Assistant Secretary, Assistant Treasurer, and Member-at-Large. Incentives by way of reduced homeowner dues may be provided

  2. From now on letters notifying residents of fines against their property will be sent by C&H Bookkeeping. These letters will be requested by a vote of the Board.

  3. Ken pointed out that our financial statements from the bookkeepers do not include the payees. He will contact C&H Bookkeeping to see if we can include the payee for each check in the report.

  4. Ken has a check for $3000 for Santa Maria Electric toward what we owe for the street lighting improvements. We will still owe $4000 after that payment. We ordered the work on the street lighting without having enough funds in our checking account to pay for it. We won't order any work in the future if don't have the funds available to pay on time.

  5. Two more street lights need to be fixed. Ken will contact Santa Maria Electric to see if they will make the repairs and add the cost to our bill.

  6. The Board voted 3 to 0 to simplify the rules on basketball hoops. You no longer have to move the stands beside your house when not in use. We still require that all basketball stands be off the streets by 10PM. Just put them up on the driveway or the lawn next to the street. A flyer will be sent to all houses with basketball stands notifying them of the new rules.

  7. Many people have been sending their dues to 230 Cedar Road instead of to C&H Bookkeeping. We will send out another notice to those residents who are not sending their dues to the correct address.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:40 PM.

August 2005 Minutes

Preisker Gardens Homeowners' Meeting

August 9, 2005

Board members in attendance were Ken Hooberry (President), Joel Hartwell (Treasurer), and Jim Clatfelter (Secretary).

Ken called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM.

The Minutes of the July meeting were read and approved.

Items of business included:

  1. The streetlights that are not working have not been fixed because Santa Maria Electric needs to know the location of a junction box that seems to be covered up in somebody's front yard. Joel located a street lighting map of Preisker Gardens. Ken will show it to Santa Maria Electric so that they can complete the repairs.

  2. Three cars have been broken into in the last month. These cars were parked in the residents' driveways. We urge you to CALL THE POLICE if this happens to to you. If this becomes an ongoing problem, the police must know about it.

  3. There are two junked cars parked in the green curb zones. The Board voted 3 to 0 to pay $165 to have B&H Towing remove them from the premises.

  4. We were notified that our insurance policy on the common areas was going to be cancelled. We were told that we must insure the perimeter block wall and the streets if we wish to keep the policy. Our policy extends to March 29, 2006. We will Jim Clatfelter have to pay an additional premium for the coverage of the wall and the streets.

  5. We have a list of nine people who volunteered to help us distribute flyers when needed. Each volunteer will be responsible only for their own block.

  6. We also have two volunteers to run for office on the Board. We will organize an election for the October meeting. We still have open offices.

  7. A helpful resident wrote a quick reference guide for new residents. She is willing to make whatever changes or additions the Board decides on. This will be given to new purchasers of homes in Preisker Gardens and to new renters as well.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:20 PM.

September 2005 Minutes

Preisker Gardens Homeowners' Meeting

September 13, 2005

Board members in attendance were Ken Hooberry (President), Joel Hartwell (Treasurer), and Jim Clatfelter (Secretary).

Ken called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM.

The Minutes of the July meeting were read and approved.

Items of business included:

  1. People have been taking dogs to the pool area and letting them swim in the pool. This is not allowed. We will get a sign to post at the pool that reads: NO DOGS ALLOWED IN POOL AREA.

  2. The Board also discussed what we can do about preventing people who do not have the gate code from driving in the exit gate when someone leaves. This is dangerous, and it happens frequently. No decision was made, but we do have the option of putting one-way tire spikes in the road by the exit gate or of putting a barrier by the U-turn opening just past the keypad area.

  3. Ken mentioned that when you leave the Board, if you have been authorized to sign Association checks, you must go to Mid-State Bank and remove your name from the signature list. Joel will be sure to do this.

  4. There is a pothole again on the corner of Chestnut and Cedar. Ken will arrange to have it filled in, preferably with concrete this time.

  5. The pool will remain open, but it will not be heated until next spring when the weather warms up.

  6. We have given our insurance company the information they requested. They have cancelled our Notice of Recission.

  7. Joel has sold his house. He resigned from the Board. Tammy White will handle clubhouse reservations now. Call 739-0110 to leave a message when you want to reserve the clubhouse. We will get the message to Tammy so that she can call you back and enter your reservation.

  8. Ken reported that the financial report from C&H Bookkeeping from now on will contain an itemized accounting of each expenditure. A report was not available this month because of delays due to the holiday.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:18 PM.

October 2005 Minutes

Preisker Gardens Homeowners' Meeting

October 13, 2005

Board members in attendance were Ken Hooberry (President) and Jim Clatfelter (Secretary).

Ken called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM.

The Minutes of the August meeting were read and approved.

Items of business included:

  1. We now have a sign by the pool gate: NO DOGS ALLOWED IN POOL AREA.

  2. Ken is still waiting for prices for a tire damage strip for the front exit gate. This would prevent people from entering through the exit gate. We have not voted on installing one, but we want to know the cost.

  3. Ken has had the PREISKER GARDENS sign by the front gated painted. It will be put back up this month.

  4. The cost to fix the pothole on the corner of Chestnut and Cedar will be $2500 if we use concrete. The bid we received was for a 10-by-16 foot section of concrete. Ken will get a bid from Granite Construction to repair the pothole using asphalt instead.

  5. Ken checked with the Santa Maria Police Department about parking regulations on our streets in Preisker Gardens. He was informed that, since it is private property, we are responsible for making the regulations. Our parking rules can be either more or less restrictive than those for city streets.

  6. The meeting on November 8 will be an election meeting. C&H Tax and Bookkeeping will mail the ballots to all homeowners. Jim will prepare the ballot and get it to C&H by October 17 so that it can be mailed at least two weeks before the date of the election.

  7. We have three people who have said they are willing to serve on the Board of Directors. Their names are on the ballot. There are still two offices open. If you would like to help out on the Board, let us know.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:00 PM.

November 2006 Minutes

Preisker Gardens Homeowners' Meeting

November 14, 2006

Board members in attendance were Ken Hooberry (President), Jim Clatfelter (Secretary), Tammy White (Treasurer), and Linda Brady (Assistant Secretary).

Ken called the meeting to order at 7:04 p.m.

The Minutes of the September meeting were read and approved.

1. HOA DUES: Ken noted that the two homes with more than $200 past due for HOA fees and are currently for sale. The Board agreed, since the homes were being sold and there were already liens on the property, not to file suit a civil suit at this time.

The Board agreed to raise the dues to $70/month beginning in January 2007. This is $5/month less than recommended by the bookkeeping service.

2. CLUBHOUSE: There was a Halloween party with alcohol, noise, and inappropriate behavior. Police came twice. The party reserving the clubhouse has been restricted from renting it again for six months. After discussion, it was decided to change the hours that residents may use the clubhouse to 10 a.m - 9 p.m. daily and revise the clubhouse rules. Forms will be revised, and the new rules will be posted in the clubhouse and provided to residents wishing to use the facility. New rules will include:

new hours
the person reserving the clubhouse will be held responsible for the conduct of those in attendance (both inside and outside the clubhouse)
If police are called due to a disturbance, the $150 deposit will be forfeited and there will be a one year restriction on using the facility
Refund of deposit will be dependent upon compliance with the rules
Residence desiring to reserve the clubhouse will be required to show their driver's license

3. COMMUNITY WATCH: Tammy called three times and is hopeful of setting up the first meeting in December.

4. SIGN(S) AT GATE: The Board voted 3 to 1 to purchase a new sign incorporating various wording from other signs and adding "No Solicitors."

5. GATE COMBINATION: Jim noted that he'd received several calls from Property Managers who did not know the gate code and several renters contacted him to gain access. Ken will provide a list to C & H Bookkeeping and request that they mail the information rather than responding to phone calls from unknown individuals.

6. Other topics discussed included:
New cleaning supplies and tables for clubhouse
Dogs running loose
Handle on pool broken (again)

Notice: The policy of the Homeowners' Association is to put a lien on all properties that are more than $200 behind in their monthly dues to the Association.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:30 p.m.

December 2005 Minutes

Preisker Gardens Homeowners' Meeting

December 13, 2005

Board members in attendance were Ken Hooberry (President), Rick Burgess (Vice President), Jim Clatfelter (Secretary), and Linda Brady (Assistant Secretary).

Ken called the meeting to order at 7:08 PM.

The Minutes of the November meeting were read and approved with the following modification:

We voted to raise the dues to $69 at the November meeting. Since that time Ken met with Gene, the owner of C&H Tax and Bookkeeping, who did a budget analysis for us for the year 2006. Gene recommended the dues be raised to $66.00 instead of $69.00. The Board had accepted his recommendation.

Items of business included:

  1. Ken found out from Mid-State Bank that we can withdraw $5000.00 from our Certificate of Deposit with a penalty of only $23.00. We will make the withdrawal so that we can pay off what we owe to Santa Maria Electric.

  2. When we have paid our bill with Santa Maria Electric, we will ask them to fix the light on the corner of Chestnut and Cedar.

  3. Ken announced that the light on the keypad by the gate has been replaced.

  4. Ken got a bid of $6300.00 to install tire spikes at the front exit gate. This kind of spike strip would puncture the tires of any vehicle attempting to enter Preisker Gardens through the exit gate. We will consider this matter at the next meeting.

  5. We need to install a spring or some other type of closure device on the front walk-thru gate. We will get bids on this after we have raised the balance of our checking account.

  6. The Board unanimously passed the following new regulation. All Association privileges will be suspended for the residents of any property once the owners are delinquent on their dues for 60 days. This includes the rights to use the clubhouse, pool, spa, and RV lot. C&H Bookkeeping will notify anyone who falls behind for two months. They will also inform the owners that if they or their tenants have an RV parked in our lot it will be towed before the end of the month.

  7. It was suggested that we pass a regulation requiring all cars to be off the streets from 9am to 3pm every Thursday. This would give the street sweepers complete access to all the streets. It would also allow us to be sure that there are no abandoned cars parked in the green curb zones on Meadowgate and Channel. This matter will be addressed at the January meeting.

  8. The Board unanimously passed a regulation, in conformance with city law, that no unregistered vehicles shall be parked within Preisker Gardens, including on private driveways. This rule goes into effect on February 1, 2006. We will see that each residence receives a flyer notifying its occupants of this requirement.

  9. In a closed session after the meeting Ken told the Board that we need to make some changes to our accounts with Mid-State Bank. Linda Brady will be added to the list of those who can sign Association checks. Ken, Jim, and Linda will be authorized to sign for transactions on our Certificate of Deposit. Ken and Jim will be reaffirmed as having authority to sign Association checks. Gail Thomas and Joel Hartwell will be deleted as authorized signatories on our checking account. Lucy Elsberry, Francine Soliz, and Steve Justice will be deleted as authorized signatories on our Certificate of Deposit.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:49 PM.

Home Page