January 2006 Minutes

Preisker Gardens Homeowners' Meeting

January 10, 2006

Board members in attendance were Ken Hooberry (President), Rick Burgess (Vice President), Jim Clatfelter (Secretary), Tammy White (Treasurer), and Linda Brady (Assistant Secretary).

Ken called the meeting to order at 7:05 p.m.

The Minutes of the December meeting were read and approved.

Items of business included:

1. UNREGISTERED VEHICLES: In regards to the towing of unregistered vehicles, the Board agreed that the towing company should not tow cars until the owners have been provided with a first infraction notice allowing them five days to correct the situation. The fact that some members have had their registration stickers stolen from their license plates without their knowledge was a primary reason for providing notice. It was agreed that notices/stickers should be printed in Spanish and English.

2. NO STREET PARKING DURING STREET SWEEPING: Discussion regarding passing a regulation requiring all cars to be off the streets from 9 am to 3 pm every Thursday was postponed until Ken could verify with the street sweepers that they do, in fact, come through the complex on Thursdays.

3. FEBRUARY MEETING DATE CHANGE: Due to Valentine's Day falling on the second Tuesday of February, the next Homeowners' Meeting will be on the first Tuesday in February, February 7, at 7 pm.

4. HOA BANK SIGNATURES: Ken Hooberry, Jim Clatfelter and Linda Brady completed paperwork allowing them to sign on the Homeowners' Association bank accounts at Mid-State Bank.

5. SECURITY/NO PARKING ON LAWNS: It was noted that Bomar Security Service has not been notifying Ken regarding cars that are illegally parked on lawns overnight. These cars are supposed to be towed.

6. RULES & REGULATIONS: The fact that renters are not provided copies of the CC&Rs was brought up as a problem.

7. WELCOMING NEW FAMILIES: Tammy White suggested that it would be nice if the community welcomed new members with a Welcome Basket and invited participation in the HOA meetings.

8. COMMUNITY CLEAN UP: There was a recommendation that a day be set aside for a voluntary clean up effort by community members.

9. STREET LIGHT UPKEEP: Ken agreed to contact Santa Maria Electric regarding fixing the street light at Chestnut and Cedar.

10. GATE ISSUES:
a. Alternatives for tire spikes at the front entrance were discussed, including a movable fence or a speed bump.

b. Ken will request that a stronger spring be installed on the side gate at the entrance so the gate will shut properly.

c. Gate access to the park was discussed, and one member volunteered to see what he could come up with to provide both park access and security.

11. FORECLOSURES: Jim Clatfelter stated that there is a State Law that takes effect on January 1, 2006 requiring a minimum of $1800 in delinquent homeowners association fees before a foreclosure may take place. The fees must also be in arrears at least one year. There is also a requirement that the Board specifically vote to take each homeowner to foreclosure. This will be a topic for the next meeting since there is $2000 delinquency on the books.

New Business:

POSSIBLE CHANGE REQUIRED TO STANDING RULES: A member noted that the Standing Rules say that unregistered vehicles must be parked in the RV lot. Jim will check. This rule may have to be changed given the lack of room in the RV lot.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:43 p.m.

March 2006 Minutes

Preisker Gardens Homeowners' Meeting

March 14, 2006

Board members in attendance were Ken Hooberry (President), Jim Clatfelter (Secretary), and Linda Brady (Assistant Secretary).

Ken called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.

The Minutes of the January meeting were read and approved.

Items of business included:

1. UNREGISTERED VEHICLES: Jim Clatfelter reviewed the Standing Rules and stated that there is nothing in them about unregistered vehicles being parked in the RV lot.

2. CITY AS AGENT: Ken Hooberry read a sample letter which Preisker Gardens can send to the Santa Maria Police Department, City of Santa Maria, City Attorney's Office, and Code Compliance office which permits them to act as agents of the HOA to enforce CC&Rs, including moving unauthorized vehicles. Ken noted that in the future we can call the police, and they will tow the car and deal with any potential angry car owners. Board members voted unanimously to send the letter.

3. STREET LIGHTS: The street light on Chestnut is fixed and the one on Iliff will be put back up (it was knocked down).

4. EXIT GATE: The gate closed on a car which was sitting behind others waiting at the stop sign. Ken reminded members that the gate is on a timer and will close after a period of time. Cars should wait behind the gate if they cannot pull completely through due to traffic.

5. BULLETIN BOARD: The bulletin board came down during the rain. It is unknown if vandals pulled it down, but it was about 15 years old. Jim suggested getting one, if possible, that would allow us to use an uncut piece of 30x36 plexiglass (rather than have the glass cut, as in the past). Ken is researching.

6. POT HOLES: Jim suggested that we get a bid to fix the pot holes in the street.

7. FORECLOSURE: Ken explained that the property we were considering foreclosing upon is now for sale. If they put a renter in, he said we will proceed with the foreclosure. Since we have a lien on the property, the dues will be paid from escrow if the home sells.

8. CHRISTMAS LIGHTS: The board voted unanimously to change the Standing Rules stating that Christmas lights must be taken down by New Year's Day to give residents until the end of January to remove the lights. It was noted that several houses still have Christmas lights up. At the next meeting, we will discuss sending letters to those home owners.

9. COMMUNITY GARAGE SALE: There has been a request for another community garage sale. We will select a date at the next meeting.

10. TABLES IN CLUB HOUSE: Several of the tables need to be replaced. Ken would prefer to replace them all at the same time if they are not too costly. Otherwise, we'll just replace the broken ones.

11. NO SOLICITATION SIGN: There was a request to put a "No solicitation" sign on the front gate.

12. BOARD VACANCY: Rick Burgess, Vice President, has moved and left a vacancy on the Board of Directors. If anyone is interested or knows of anyone interested, please let us know.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:40 p.m.

April 2006 Minutes

Preisker Gardens Homeowners' Meeting

April 11, 2006

Board members in attendance were Ken Hooberry (President), Jim Clatfelter (Secretary), and Tammy White (Treasurer).

Ken called the meeting to order at 7:08 p.m.

The Minutes of the March meeting were read and approved.

Items of business included:

1. We will have a community-wide garage sale on Saturday, June 10 and Sunday, June 11. The hours will be from 8am to 12 noon. The front gate will be open during those hours. The sale will be advertised in the Santa Maria Times.

2. If you see children under 16 using the pool without adult supervision, please report it to the Association by calling our office at 739-0110 and giving us the time and day you saw it. We have security cameras at the pool. If we can determine who the children are, we will report them to their parents. Rocks were found in the pool and on the pool deck. Please report this kind of mischief.

3. Ken reported that the street light on Iliff has been repaired.

4. We are still waiting for bids on repairing our streets. The companies we contacted did not want to do the bidding in the rain.

5. There are still four houses with Christmas lights up. We will send letters asking those residents to take the lights down. If the lights are not removed by the end of April, we will fine each residence $50.00

6. Jim had a phone call from Terri Parker, President of the Santa Maria Board of Realtors, saying that she believes that by having our front gates closed we are making it difficult for our homeowners to sell their homes and also that we are lowering the value of our homes. He told her he would bring it up at the homeowners meeting. Most of those present want to continue to keep the gates closed.

7. Ken stated that he will set the gates to be open only during the hours people are going to and coming home from work. The exit gate will be open from 6:30am to 8:30am. The entry gate will be open from 4:30pm to 6:30pm.

8. Some homeowners have been having trouble with stray cats and other animals (including possums) messing on their lawns. Animal Services will provide a trap for these animals. You pay a deposit for the trap, which is given back to you when you return the trap. You must take the trapped animal to Animal Services, though they will come out and pick up the animal if it's a skunk. Their phone number is 934-6119. They are located at 528 West Foster Road.


The meeting was adjourned at 8:27pm.

May 2005 Minutes

Preisker Gardens Homeowners' Meeting

May 10, 2005

Board members in attendance were Gail Thomas (President), Ken Hooberry (Vice President), Joel Hartwell (Treasurer), and Jim Clatfelter (Secretary).

Gail called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM.

The Minutes of the April meeting were read and approved.

Items of business included:

  1. We will have an election in July. Ken will run for President. Jim and Joel each have another year to serve in their positions. We need others to run for positions on the Board. Open positions include Vice President, Assistant Secretary, Assistant Treasurer, and Member-at-Large.

  2. The fire extinguishers in the clubhouse have been serviced and certified.

  3. The broken window in the upstairs clubhouse office has been replaced.

  4. It was reported that some have been posting the gate code on the gate keypad. This is not permitted. It compromises our security. If you are having an open house, please let us know. We will open the gate for you during the hours of the open house. Tell your Realtor not to post your gate code. If you are having a party in the clubhouse, give your guests the code in advance. Do not post it at the gate.

  5. One house is in foreclosure and has been put to lien.

  6. We will be taking bids for a new gardening service. We are not satisfied with our present gardeners.

  7. Our reserves are down to $67,150. They should be at least $100,000. We have made many improvements to the community in the last year. These include our new gate, much improved street lighting, and our security cameras. Though we don't anticipate more major expenses in the following year, we are required to keep our reserves at an acceptable level. For that reason there will be an increase in dues from $58 a month to $63 a month beginning with the July payment.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:50 PM.

June 2007 Minutes

Preisker Gardens Homeowners' Meeting

June 19, 2007

Board members in attendance were Ken Hoobery (President), Jim Clatfelter (Secretary), and Tammy White (Treasurer).

Ken called the meeting to order at 7:02 PM.

The Minutes of the April meeting were read and approved.

Topics discussed included:

1. We had many complaints about people in the pool after 10:00 at night. The pool closes at 10:0 PM, and the pool is for ADULTS ONLY after 9:00 PM.

2. There have been several robberies from cars parked in driveways and in the green zones. All of the robberies were from cars that were not locked. Please keep your car locked at all times when you cannot see it.

3. Darryl will attempt to get the gate to Preisker Park up by the next meeting. Ken will arrange to hire a welder. The new gate will have a magnetic lock. Keys will be issued th those who want to use the gate. There will be a key deposit. The amount of the deposit has not yet been determined.

4. Several homes that are for sale have brown lawns. Ken will call the Realtors who have listed the homes to tell them that they must keep the lawns watered and green. If they don't cooperate, the property owners will be fined.

5. Tami reported on the cost of hiring a pool supervisor for 4 hours a day during the summer. Having a supervisor might encourage more responsible behavior at the pool. No action was taken on this matter.

6. We will hold elections in July. Bring your ballots to the Board meeting on July 10. If you can't come to the meeting, please mail your ballots in the provided SASE. Your vote is important.

7. Ken asked Tami to prepare a flyer to be mailed with the ballot. The flyer will inform our residents of some of the problems we have been encountering, and it will ask for the cooperation of all residents in helping to make our community a safe and enjoyable place to live.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:10 PM.

August 2006 Minutes

Preisker Gardens Homeowners' Meeting

August 8, 2006

Board members in attendance were Ken Hooberry (President), Jim Clatfelter (Secretary), and Linda Brady (Assistant Secretary).

Ken called the meeting to order at 7:05 p.m.

The Minutes of the June meeting were read and approved.

Items of business included:

1. POOL: Jim mentioned that there was a problem getting into the pool area, and the pool cleaner could not get in to clean. Ken indicated that the magnetic entry doesn't work before 10:30 a.m., and the pool has now been cleaned. Several residents indicated that people without keys were throwing belts over the fence to open the latch from the inside. Several people indicated that they witnessed people coming in the gate and using the pool who were obviously not residents of Preisker Gardens. One individual who refused to allow a man in the pool area who didn't have a key felt threatened and intimidated by his words and actions. It was recommended that residents call police if they feel threatened. Due to ongoing pool violations and unauthorized use, Ken made a motion to lock the pool for a two-week period beginning Aug. 9. The Board unanimously approved the motion. A notice will be posted indicating the pool is closed.

2. POT HOLES: Ken indicated that the bid from Valley Slurry Seal was $98K if they did it in one day and $110K if it took two days. Ken made a motion to go with the $20K bid from Toste. Jim seconded the motion and it was unanimously approved.

3. HOA RESERVE: Ken checked with C & H Bookkeeping and Jolene Temple, attorney with Kirk & Simas, and was told there is no state law dictating how much reserve we must maintain. We will reduce our reserve to $58K to pay for the road repairs.

4. BULLETIN BOARD: The bulletin boards have been replaced and look nice.

5. STREET LIGHT: Ken indicated that Santa Maria Electric ordered the light, and it should be installed shortly.

6. UNREGISTERED VEHICLES: Ken asked for a copy of the section of the CC&Rs stating that all vehicles must be registered. If it's not included, we need to amend the CC&Rs to include it. Jim will research.

7. BOUNCED HOA CHECKS: A notice was posted on the bulletin boards indicating that a $75 charge will be assessed when checks to C & H are returned for insufficient funds.

8. MISCELLANEOUS:

- The board agreed to putting security bars on the bathroom windows.

- A resident complained of vehicles driving through the complex while playing loud music.

- There was a complaint that bottle rockets and fireworks are still being set off.

- A resident complained about a dog that was "pooping" on her lawn.

- There was discussion about reducing the time on the sprinklers at the entrance and having the gardener adjust them so they aren't hitting the fence. Since the area appeared saturated with water, Ken indicated that he would have the sprinklers turned off for two weeks and then reduce the time from 15 min to 10 min.

- There was a complaint about the number of non-residents who know the gate entry numbers. Ken indicated that he would change the numbers so residents have to start over in giving out the numbers.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:10 p.m.

September 2006 Minutes

Preisker Gardens Homeowners' Meeting

September 12, 2006

Board members in attendance were Ken Hooberry (President), Jim Clatfelter (Secretary), Tammy White (Treasurer), and Linda Brady (Assistant Secretary).

Ken called the meeting to order at 7:03 p.m.

The Minutes of the August meeting were read and approved.

1. UNREGISTERED VEHICLES: After researching the matter, Jim noted that there is nothing in the CC&Rs about unregistered vehicles. Ken stated that vehicles in driveways with car covers are compliant; however, unregistered vehicles on the street will be towed.

2. RE-PAVING: Toste will begin the repairing and paving of roads on September 20. A flier will be distributed door-to-door letting residents know what day and hours cars must refrain from traveling on the newly sealed surfaces.

3. TRIMMING OF TREES ON PREISKER: There has been a request to trim the trees in front. Ken expressed concern about killing the trees if they were cut down to the wall level (as desired by some). The matter was postponed until the next meeting.

4. PART-TIME POOL MANAGER: Tammy proposed we hire a part-time manager to oversee the pool area and serve as bookkeeper. This would result in raising dues by $20/month. If approved, she'd look for someone with a flexible schedule who could work about 25 hours per week. Other board members indicated that we have a full-time bookkeeping service, and we depend upon their expertise.

5. POOL/CLUBHOUSE: The pool has re-opened. It was suggested that the HOA fine people who abuse pool privileges. Ken said that if residents know where the offenders live, that he will visit the homes to discuss the problem. Clubhouse: Ken will check into the malfunctioning garbage disposal in the kitchen.

6. PARK ENTRANCE GATE: Numerous residents expressed a desire to access the park through the gate. Board members reviewed the reasons for closing the gate, i.e. vandals kept breaking the lock, at a cost of $500. The last lock only lasted three weeks before it was destroyed. Residents expressed concern about people climbing over the fence, which could result in injury. Since there is no electrical outlet at the sight, one homeowner suggested installing a revolving door which only goes to the park. Children and adults using it would have to come around to the front when returning from the park area. Ken asked her to report back with more information, and he welcomed any other suggestions to solve the problem.

7. STREET LIGHTS: They have been fixed.

8. NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH: Tammy is gathering names of individuals who would be willing to participate in a meeting with Office Lopez to establish a Neighborhood Watch program.

9. MISCELLANEOUS:

- A notice regarding loud music and a warning that future occurrences will result in a $50 fine per incident will be sent to 2210 Iliff.

- A letter will be sent to 2213 Garden informing them to clean up their front yard and repair the fallen-down fence.

- A request was made to send a letter in Spanish to 2214 Almond regarding their barking dog. Marisela offered to translate the letter for Jim.

- It was noted that renters are welcome to attend HOA meetings.

- The resident of 2140 Chestnut received approval to put up a short wooden fence as long as he made sure it was on the property line.

- Several residents complained of neighbors putting concrete patios up to their fence line causing water to run into their yard due to a lack of proper drainage. Ken said there must be a 2' dirt area between property lines. He suggested that complaining homeowners contact the Code Compliance Department and request them to check the area in question. Inadequate drainage can cause water to sit and mildew to form in the walls. In the past, some residents have been required to remove areas of cement.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:20 p.m.

October 2006 Minutes

Preisker Gardens Homeowners' Meeting

October 10, 2006

Board members in attendance were Ken Hooberry (President), Jim Clatfelter (Secretary), and Tammy White (Treasurer).

Ken called the meeting to order at 7:08 p.m.

The Minutes of the September meeting were read and approved.

Items of business included:

1. Tammy reported that called Officer Lopez to set up a Neighborhood Watch meeting for Preisker Gardens. She also has several people who have volunteered to help her. We will pass out flyers when the meeting is scheduled. All residents will be encouraged to attend.

2. The lock to the swimming pool is broken again. It cost us $500.00 to have it fixed earlier this year. Ken will contact our locksmith.

3. Some people using the clubhouse have complained that we have few supplies to clean the floors after their events. Tammy will purchase some cleaning supplies that will be available to clean the clubhouse after parties.

4. A resident reported that pine needles are piling up on the bushes on Preisker Lane. Ken will ask our gardener to clean the up every two weeks instead of just once a month.

5. The Board voted 3 to 0 to allow Darryl Robida a budget of $200 for materials to make repairs and improvements to the guard shack and the front entry.

6. Ken asked that we once again state in our minutes that the policy of the Homeowners' Association is to put a lein on all properties that are over $200 behind in their monthly dues to the Association.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:00 p.m.

November 2006 Minutes

Preisker Gardens Homeowners' Meeting

November 14, 2006

Board members in attendance were Ken Hooberry (President), Jim Clatfelter (Secretary), Tammy White (Treasurer), and Linda Brady (Assistant Secretary).

Ken called the meeting to order at 7:04 p.m.

The Minutes of the September meeting were read and approved.

1. HOA DUES: Ken noted that the two homes with more than $200 past due for HOA fees and are currently for sale. The Board agreed, since the homes were being sold and there were already liens on the property, not to file suit a civil suit at this time.

The Board agreed to raise the dues to $70/month beginning in January 2007. This is $5/month less than recommended by the bookkeeping service.

2. CLUBHOUSE: There was a Halloween party with alcohol, noise, and inappropriate behavior. Police came twice. The party reserving the clubhouse has been restricted from renting it again for six months. After discussion, it was decided to change the hours that residents may use the clubhouse to 10 a.m - 9 p.m. daily and revise the clubhouse rules. Forms will be revised, and the new rules will be posted in the clubhouse and provided to residents wishing to use the facility. New rules will include:

new hours
the person reserving the clubhouse will be held responsible for the conduct of those in attendance (both inside and outside the clubhouse)
If police are called due to a disturbance, the $150 deposit will be forfeited and there will be a one year restriction on using the facility
Refund of deposit will be dependent upon compliance with the rules
Residence desiring to reserve the clubhouse will be required to show their driver's license

3. COMMUNITY WATCH: Tammy called three times and is hopeful of setting up the first meeting in December.

4. SIGN(S) AT GATE: The Board voted 3 to 1 to purchase a new sign incorporating various wording from other signs and adding "No Solicitors."

5. GATE COMBINATION: Jim noted that he'd received several calls from Property Managers who did not know the gate code and several renters contacted him to gain access. Ken will provide a list to C & H Bookkeeping and request that they mail the information rather than responding to phone calls from unknown individuals.

6. Other topics discussed included:
New cleaning supplies and tables for clubhouse
Dogs running loose
Handle on pool broken (again)

Notice: The policy of the Homeowners' Association is to put a lien on all properties that are more than $200 behind in their monthly dues to the Association.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:30 p.m.

Home Page