January 2007 Minutes

Preisker Gardens Homeowners' Meeting

January 9, 2007

Board members in attendance were Ken Hooberry (President), Jim Clatfelter (Secretary), Tammy White (Treasurer), and Linda Brady (Assistant Secretary).

Ken called the meeting to order at 7:08 p.m.

Neighborhood Watch Presentation

Corporal Steve Lopez and Penny Pastore from the Community Services Unit provided a one-hour presentation regarding the services the Police Department offers, the benefits of a neighborhood watch program, and what telephone numbers to call for various emergency and non-emergency concerns. A list will be posted on the bulletin board. The business line for the Police Department is 928-3781 x277.

911 should only be called for life and death emergencies. (Note: If YOU feel threatened, it's an emergency.) General complaints regarding violations of city codes should be directed through Ken Hooberry. Ken is the agent for the Homeowner's Association and the primary contact for Officer Lopez.

Corporal Lopez encouraged residents to call the police department rather than ignoring potentially dangerous or illegal activities. While encouraging residents to get involved with watching out for each other, he also cautioned against "trying to be a hero."

Some things discussed included the fact that food vendors must have a current health permit, solicitors are not allowed per HOA vote, Preisker Gardens is considered Private Property so some city codes are enforced differently, 11 pm is the curfew for individuals on the street who are 18 or under, and trespassing, parking on lawns, and blocking driveways are all violations of the law.

The Minutes of the November meeting were read and approved.

Topics discussed included:

1. CLUBHOUSE. A revised clubhouse security deposit form was distributed and approved by the Board with a minor word change to number three. Also, Tammy will order a sign which states that the maximum number of guests will be 35 per the HOA Board of Directors (even though this is less than the fire marshal allows.)

2. NEW LAWS REGARDING DOGS. Jim discussed the new law that states dogs cannot be tethered in the yard more than three hours. Consequences include a $1000 fine and six months in jail.

3. STREET LIGHT. Ken will take action to see that the street light at Almond and Meadow Gate is fixed.

Notice: The policy of the Homeowners' Association is to put a lien on all properties that are more than $200 behind in their monthly dues to the Association.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:55 p.m.

March 2007 Minutes

Preisker Gardens Homeowners' Meeting

March 13, 2007

Board members in attendance were Jim Clatfelter (Secretary) and Linda Brady (Assistant Secretary). Ken Hooberry (President) was sick.

Jim called the meeting to order at 7:10 p.m., noting that there was not a quorum of board members, but we would be happy to write down any resident concerns.

The Minutes of the January meeting were read and approved.

Topics discussed included:

1. PARK GATE. It was noted that someone posted a sign recently stating that it's trespassing to enter the park. There is an expectation that, once we get the gate fixed, residents will be able to once again access the park through the gate. Further explanation of the sign was desired. Also, Dayrrl stated that within the next few months, he'd like to get approval to replace the gate with a sturdy version using heavy steel and cement, a stand-alone frame, and a magnetic lock that doesn't require batteries or electricity. The lock can't be jammed and the keys (which cannot be duplicated locally) would be about $4 each. Each key has a serial number. The lock would be about $275. Also, he'd like to have a good hydraulic closer put on the door so it will close automatically. He suggested a deposit be placed on keys and that keys only issued to those wanting to use the gate entrance to the park.

One resident requested that we open the gate during the day as children are climbing over the fence to go to school, and he was concerned that someone will get hurt. Another resident offered to unlock the gate each morning and lock it each night.

2. NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH. There will be a neighborhood watch meeting on March 22 at 6:15 p.m. We will post the times on the Bulletin Boards..

3. MISCELLANEOUS.

Several residents asked when the pool heater would be turned on. The response was that it's typically activated around Easter.

A resident complained about all the realtor signs at the entrance, which block the view of residents exiting. There was a suggestion that we call the sign placement companies and ask them to move/remove the signs so they don't endanger drivers by blocking the view of oncoming cars.

There was a question regarding how much it costs to open and close the gate on weekends and whether it might not save money and help residents trying to sell their homes just to leave the gate open on weekends.

There was a complaint that some Christmas decorations are still up. We will send letters to them stating that the lights must be taken down by the end of March.

Notice: The policy of the Homeowners' Association is to put a lien on all properties that are more than $200 behind in their monthly dues to the Association.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:45 p.m.

April 2007 Minutes

Preisker Gardens Homeowners' Meeting

April 20, 2007

Board members in attendance were Ken Hooberry (President), Jim Clatfelter (Secretary), Tammy White (Treasurer), and Linda Brady (Assistant Secretary).

Jim called the meeting to order at 7:10 p.m. Ken just got off work and was a few minutes late.

The Minutes of the March meeting were read and approved.

Topics discussed included:

1. PET KILLED. A pit bull killed a poodle being walked on a leash. The pit bull was picked up by Animal Control and will not be allowed back into the community. The owners of the pit bull still have three dogs, one more than allowed by the CC&R's. We will send a letter and a copy of the rules and regulations stating that they must comply. Since the owners of the poodle have not yet received a returned call from several attempts to contact Officer Lopez, Ken will call Lopez and ask him to call them on their cell phone. A sympathy card was signed and presented to the family, who were present at the meeting.

2. CHRISTMAS LIGHTS. Letters were sent on 3/14 to the residents of homes that still had Christmas lights up letting them know that there would be a $50 fine if they weren't down by the end of March. According to reports from other residents, two homes will owe the $50 fine.

3. RULES AND REGULATIONS. Preisker Gardens rules have been translated into Spanish and need to be distributed. A copy was sent to Sheila at C & H Bookkeeping, and Ken requested that he be provided with a copy as well.

4. NEW BULLETIN BOARD DEDICATED TO COMMUNICATING RULES. A new bulletin board will be placed next to the clubhouse bulletin board. It will contain a list of the most commonly violated of our community rules. There will be a list in English and a list Spanish. The Board of Directors unanimously approved its purchase and installation. Estimated cost: $75.

5. REALTOR SIGNS AT ENTRANCE. The Board unanimously agreed that we will no longer permit realtor signs at the entrance with the exception of "Open House" signs that must be taken down the same day.

6. HOA DUES - HOMES FOR SALE. The Board approved Ken's suggestion to place a lien on homes for sale if they are two months behind in HOA dues. For other residences, a lien will not be placed until the amount owed exceeds $200. We will send letters to those homeowners selling property that are behind in dues to advise them that they are not up-to-date with their dues and that a lien will be placed on the property if dues are not promptly paid.

7. MAKING COMMUNITY SAFER. Tammy reviewed some suggestions received from a policeman to help reduce problems in the community. Some of the recommendations included:
Have our lawyer review CC&R's to ensure that they are legal and enforceable.
Follow-up on infractions and be consistent with implementing fines
Welcome new residents and provide rules
Establish active Neighborhood Watch Program

8. GATE INTO PARK. Darryl would like to begin work on the park gate detailed in last month's minutes. Ken asked that he be provided with the information, including costs (approx. $600), before doing the job. Ken will make a phone call to the city to make sure that we still have a right-of-way into the park (since there's a sign indicating no admittance allowed). Procedures will also have to be established regarding issuing keys, proof of identity, and establishing a deposit.

9. ELECTION FOR NEW BOARD OF DIRECTORS IN JUNE. Jim and Ken's assignments will be ending in June, and Ken requested that willing residents come forward. He said he is not stepping down; but if someone else wants to be President, that's fine with him. He is willing to take another position on the Board. Jim said he would help but would like to step down as Secretary. Also, Linda indicated that she would not be available to serve on the Board after June 30.

10. MISCELLANEOUS:
A list of license plates for cars parked along the sides for more than 3 days was delivered to Ken. It also indicates those without registration tags. Ken is looking for a towing company that will come on private property.
A home was broken into last month - nothing was taken and, in a separate instance, a car was broken into and the stereo stolen.
One resident requested we try to obtain a print-out of crimes in the area.
Signs will be put up in the parking area by the pool indicating that parking is only for those using the clubhouse or pool and that there is no parking between 10 PM and 9 AM. In addition, a caution sign showing children running will be placed on Cedar to remind drivers to slow down.
The front gate has been hit by a car, and it doesn't close completely.
A recommendation was made (again) that a pole be put in at the front gate so that cars cannot cross over and enter through the exit.
A resident asked for an exception to the new clubhouse rules regarding number of guests (35) and ending hour of 9 pm. Ken apologized and said he would like to make an exception, but the rules were just implemented a few months ago and we needed to honor them.

Notice: The policy of the Homeowners' Association is to put a lien on all properties that are more than $200 behind in their monthly dues to the Association.

The meeting was adjourned at 9:00 p.m.

May 2007 Minutes

Preisker Gardens Homeowners' Meeting

May 8, 2007

Board members in attendance were Ken Hooberry (President), Jim Clatfelter (Secretary), and Tammy White (Treasurer).

Ken called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM.

The Minutes of the April meeting were read and approved.

Topics discussed included:

1. The front walk-in gate is broken and will not lock. It appears that someone kicked it open. Ken reported that he has made arrangements to have it repaired with sturdier metal than it had originally.

2. Darryl presented plans for a new side gate to Preisker Park. It will be much sturdier than the present gate, and it will have a magnetic and tamper-proof locking system. He had a list of all the costs except for the welding. He will give us the complete cost at the June meeting.

3. On Monday, May 7, there was a dispute at the pool between groups of teens and young adults. Ken said that it almost turned into a fight, but he was able to get it stopped.

4. We talked again about what to do with the pool this summer. It was proposed that we limit the pool hours and hire a lifeguard or other qualified and insured person to supervise the pool during open hours. Tammy will get an estimate of the cost of hiring someone to be in charge of the pool.

5. Darryl has made us another bulletin board. This one will be placed by the clubhouse. It will contain two lists of the most common violations of our rules and regulations, one in English and one in Spanish. Once the lists are posted, no one will be able to say they didn't know the rules. As we have room, we will post these lists on the front bulletin board also.

6. Darryl also agreed to purchase a CHILDREN AT PLAY sign to be posted at the front entry gate. We hope this will help to make people aware that they should obey our speed limit of 15 miles per hour.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:10 PM.

June 2007 Minutes

Preisker Gardens Homeowners' Meeting

June 19, 2007

Board members in attendance were Ken Hoobery (President), Jim Clatfelter (Secretary), and Tammy White (Treasurer).

Ken called the meeting to order at 7:02 PM.

The Minutes of the April meeting were read and approved.

Topics discussed included:

1. We had many complaints about people in the pool after 10:00 at night. The pool closes at 10:0 PM, and the pool is for ADULTS ONLY after 9:00 PM.

2. There have been several robberies from cars parked in driveways and in the green zones. All of the robberies were from cars that were not locked. Please keep your car locked at all times when you cannot see it.

3. Darryl will attempt to get the gate to Preisker Park up by the next meeting. Ken will arrange to hire a welder. The new gate will have a magnetic lock. Keys will be issued th those who want to use the gate. There will be a key deposit. The amount of the deposit has not yet been determined.

4. Several homes that are for sale have brown lawns. Ken will call the Realtors who have listed the homes to tell them that they must keep the lawns watered and green. If they don't cooperate, the property owners will be fined.

5. Tami reported on the cost of hiring a pool supervisor for 4 hours a day during the summer. Having a supervisor might encourage more responsible behavior at the pool. No action was taken on this matter.

6. We will hold elections in July. Bring your ballots to the Board meeting on July 10. If you can't come to the meeting, please mail your ballots in the provided SASE. Your vote is important.

7. Ken asked Tami to prepare a flyer to be mailed with the ballot. The flyer will inform our residents of some of the problems we have been encountering, and it will ask for the cooperation of all residents in helping to make our community a safe and enjoyable place to live.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:10 PM.

July 2007 Minutes

Preisker Gardens Homeowners' Meeting

July 10, 2007

Board members in attendance were Ken Hoobery (President) and Jim Clatfelter (Secretary).

Ken called the meeting to order at 7:05 PM.

The Minutes of the June meeting were read and approved.

Topics discussed included:

1. Ballots for our annual election for positions on the Board of Directors were due at this meeting. We received 19 ballots out of 104 that were mailed out. In order to have a valid election, we needed the ballots from a majority of homeowners, that is 53. Since we did not have that many returned, we will need at least 26 ballots total for the August meeting. If you have not yet voted, please mail your ballots now.

2. Darryl has removed all the tree strumps from the front lawn on Preisker Lane. He has also planted oleanders near the front entrance by the wall.

3. Darryl also reported that he has all the materials ready to install the new gate to Preisker Park. Keys should be available for those who want them at the next meeting. They will be issued only to homeowners, and a deposit will be required. Those who receive keys will be required to sign an application indicating that they understand the rules for using the gate.

4. Ken place the new Children at Play signs on each end of Cedar Road. We hope this will alert people to drive slowly through our community.

5. Tami has finished the flyer on our community rules. It will be distributed to each house. She is getting a Spanish translation so it will be available in both English and Spanish. It should be ready by the August meeting. Both versions will be posted on our website at preiskergardens.net.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:55 PM.

August 2007 Minutes

Preisker Gardens Homeowners' Meeting

August 7, 2007

Board members in attendance were Ken Hoobery (President), Tammy White (Treasuere), and Jim Clatfelter (Secretary).

Ken called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM.

The Minutes of the July meeting were read and approved.

Topics discussed included:

1. We received a total of 24 ballots out of a total of 104 maile out. We needed at least 26 votes, which represents one-quarter of homeowners, to declare a valid election tonight, however, at the September meeting, we will only need 13. Since we already have more that 13, the new members of the Board Of Directors will preside at the next meeting.

The newly elected office holders are:

Ken Hoobery, President
Darryl Robida, Vice President
Susan Beck, Assistant Treasurer
Helen Aziz, Member-at-Large

The new members were elected for a two year term.
Tammy White has one year remaining on her term, and she will continue to serve as Treasurer.

2. Darryl reported that the side gate to Preisker Park is nearly finished. Keys and rules should be available at the September meeting. He gave special thanks to all the people who helped him with this project. He also said that he will be repairing the front walk-in gate.

3. The Board unanimously approved construction of wooden doors at the pool house, signs for the pool, and a new garbage disposal for the Clubhouse.

4. Tammy wrote up a flyer on our Community Rules. We are waiting for a Spanish translation to be completed. This will be distrubed to each residence when it is ready.

5. We will have a community-wide garage sale event on Saturday and Sunday, August 25 and 26, from 8:00 AM to noon each day. Flyers announcing the event will be posted on the bulletin boards, and they will be passed out to each residence.

6. Tammy reported that the Neighborhood Watch is working well. She proposed a Welcome Packet to be distributed to new homeowners when they move into our community.

7. The pool has been used by large groups of kids who do not live in Preisker Gardens. If you notice that this is happening, and you don't want to confront the kids, please call the Santa Maria Police at 928-3781, Ext. 278.

8. It is the policy of the Board of Directors to put a lein on a property when it becomes delinquent in dues by over $200.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:00 PM.

September 2007 Minutes

Preisker Gardens Homeowners' Meeting

September 11, 2007

Board members in attendance were Ken Hoobery (President), Darryl Robida (Vice President), and Tammy White (Treasurer).

Ken called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM.

The Minutes of the August meeting were read and approved.

Topics discussed included:

1. We were asked once again what colors are approved for painting our houses. The Board reiterated than only the existing house colors are approved. You may paint your house any of the four existing house colors.

2. Darryl brought the keys for the new gate to Preisker Park. Those of you who have a key to the old gate may exchange it for a key to the new one. No deposit will be required, but you must sign the gate use agreement. If you don't have a key, you may obtain one with a deposit of $40.00. The deposit for those 50 years old and older will be $20.00. The Board unanimously approved these deposit amounts. Remember you must be a homeowner to get a key, which you may then assign to a renter for their use.

3. The Board made some changes to the rules for using the new gate. Darryl will type up the new rules for approval by the Board at the October meeting.

4. Tammy brought in some information given to us by Security First, a security company we have not used before. Ken will review their proposal and report back at the October meeting. They have indicated that they are willing to customize a program to suit our needs.

5. Tammy told us about a free service from DIG ALERT. If you plan on doing any digging in your yard, they will come out to your house and mark all of the underground utility lines for you. Their phone number is 1-800-227-2600. It is recommended that you do this for your own safety and to avoid damaging any of your underground utility lines.

6. Ken said that he consulted our lawyer, and that it would be okay for Jim Clatfelter to stay on as a non-voting member of the Board. Jim will continue to take the minutes until we find someone else to do it, and he will remain as a Board member on our account with the Bank of Santa Maria. He will still be able to sign checks when requested by C&H Bookkeeping.

7. It is the continuing policy of the Board of Directors to put a lein on a property when it becomes delinquent in dues by over $200.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:03 PM.

October 2006 Minutes

Preisker Gardens Homeowners' Meeting

October 10, 2006

Board members in attendance were Ken Hooberry (President), Jim Clatfelter (Secretary), and Tammy White (Treasurer).

Ken called the meeting to order at 7:08 p.m.

The Minutes of the September meeting were read and approved.

Items of business included:

1. Tammy reported that called Officer Lopez to set up a Neighborhood Watch meeting for Preisker Gardens. She also has several people who have volunteered to help her. We will pass out flyers when the meeting is scheduled. All residents will be encouraged to attend.

2. The lock to the swimming pool is broken again. It cost us $500.00 to have it fixed earlier this year. Ken will contact our locksmith.

3. Some people using the clubhouse have complained that we have few supplies to clean the floors after their events. Tammy will purchase some cleaning supplies that will be available to clean the clubhouse after parties.

4. A resident reported that pine needles are piling up on the bushes on Preisker Lane. Ken will ask our gardener to clean the up every two weeks instead of just once a month.

5. The Board voted 3 to 0 to allow Darryl Robida a budget of $200 for materials to make repairs and improvements to the guard shack and the front entry.

6. Ken asked that we once again state in our minutes that the policy of the Homeowners' Association is to put a lein on all properties that are over $200 behind in their monthly dues to the Association.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:00 p.m.

November 2007 Minutes

Preisker Gardens Homeowners' Meeting

November 11, 2007

Board members in attendance were Darryl Robida (Vice President), Tammy White (Treasurer), Helen Aziz (Member-at-Large), and Jim Clatfelter (Secretary).

Darryl called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM.

The Minutes of the October meeting were read and approved.

Topics discussed included:

1. Darryl reported that the walk-thru gate to Preisker Park had been jammed. He was able to fix it. Please let Darryl know if there is any problem with the lock.

2. Signs for the pool were not ready. When the signs are posted, the new age limit will be in effect. You must be 21 to use the pool or spa, or you must be accompanied by someone who is 21 years or more.

3. Darryl has purchased new doors for the pool and spa equipment shed. He will add vents to the doors to match the vents on the old doors.

4. Steve of Steve's Painting was present at the meeting. He gave us a bid of $7,235 for work on the clubhouse to include repairing all faulty stucco, replacing wood siding and trim where necessary, priming all wood, painting with one coat all wood and stucco, and painting both sides of the fence. The bid is good until the next meeting on December 12.

5. The Board voted 3 to 0 to have Jim renew our Internet subscription for 2008. The cost is $39.95.

6. The Board voted 3 to 0 to approve a cement project at 2214 Chestnut Lane.

7. We need someone to handle the clubhouse reservations. Tammy will take care of the reservations that have been made already. The clubhouse will not be available for reservations until we get a volunteer for this job.

8. It is the continuing policy of the Board of Directors to put a lein on a property when it becomes delinquent in dues by over $200.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:30 PM.

December 2007 Minutes

Preisker Gardens Homeowners' Meeting

December 11, 2007

Board members in attendance were Ken Hoobery (President), Tammy White (Treasurer), Helen Aziz (Member-at-Large), and Jim Clatfelter (Secretary).

Darryl called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM.

The Minutes of the November meeting were read and approved.

Topics discussed included:

1. The Board voted 3 to 0 to contract with Steve's Painting to have the Clubhouse painted as outlined in the November minutes. The price agreed upon is $7,000.00. Ken will give him a $1000.00 deposit to get started. Steve stated that he will need 3 days without rain for his crew to finish the project. Work will begin this week. The color of the stucco will not change, and the trim will be Padre Brown.

2. The Clubhouse is again available for reservation. Call the Association at 739-0110 or come to one of the monthly meetings to reserve the Clubhouse.

3. Several streetlights were not working. Ken will arrange for them to be fixed. Please have the streetlight number available when you report one that is not working.

4. Ken told us that the Association is owed over $9,000.00 by those whose dues are in arrears. Six properties owe over $1,000.00 each. The Board voted 3 to 0 to take these properties to Small Claims Court in January of 2008.

5. Tami will be taking the Minutes of our monthly meetings beginning in January. She will email the Minutes to Jim so that they can be posted on our website and bulletin boards each month.

6. It is the continuing policy of the Board of Directors to put a lein on a property when it becomes delinquent in dues by over $200.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:53 PM.

Home Page